What happens when homes are flooded and ways to protect

Video from BBc shows what happens when homes are flooded, what structural protection measures can be implemented for homes and a look at 'invisible' flood protection for local authorities. However no mention of non-structural protection measures, such as 'go-bags', insurance, family preparation. Good to use in a geography class though!

  • Currently 0/5 stars.

Views: 243

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of edu4DRR to add comments!

Join edu4DRR

Comment by Justin Sharpe on June 30, 2012 at 9:07
Sandbagging taken from Red Cross website and shared here - link at the bottom!

Ask students if they have seen television news pictures of people trying to protect their homes in response to a flood warning.
Very often, they will be seen building a sandbag wall.
Ask students why – and discuss the basics of the flood defence. The idea is to reduce the amount of water that might enter the property.
Split the class into three and give each group one of the following questions for exploration. They can try to find the answers there and then – through discussion or through internet searching, if available. Or it could be set as an out-of-class homework activity.
For some classes, everyone could be invited to tackle all three.
Is it a good idea to put a sandbag in the toilet bowl? Explain.
It can be a very bad idea to arrange sandbags higher than one metre. Why might this be?
Where do you get sandbags? What could you use instead if you do not have enough?
Yes, a sandbag in the loo can be good. Floodwater can enter through drains, toilets and other outlets such as washing machines. The simplest way to prevent this is by putting plugs into sinks and baths and weighing them down with a sandbag or other heavy object. Outlets from washing machines and dishwashers should be disconnected. Place a sandbag in the toilet bowl and block the washing machine drain with a suitable plug (e.g. cloth or towel) to prevent backflow.
Because the pressure of water can damage the structure of the building. In cases of very severe flooding (where the floodwater is more than one metre deep) keeping water out of your property can do more harm than good. Unless your building is specifically designed to withstand such stresses, the hydrostatic pressures involved with deep water can cause long-term structural damage and undermine the foundations of a property. Therefore you should not aim to prevent water from entering your property through any windows, doors, airbricks etc. more than one metre above the level of the ground surrounding the property.
Unfilled sandbags and a supply of sand can be purchased from some DIY stores and builders merchants. But if a flood is forecast, supply may be limited. Some councils may provide sandbags in an emergency. If you have not purchased sandbags and sand in advance, you can use alternatives such as pillow cases or refuse sacks and fill them with garden soil.
This resource was written by PJ White and produced in May 2008.

This resource and other free educational materials are available at www.redcross.org.uk/education
Comment by Justin Sharpe on January 10, 2010 at 10:48
Hi Marla,
An interesting question! I have done a little research for you and others who visit the site! One company - I think these were the one's featured on the report - UK Flood Barriers have a testing and training facility as well as a Q& A section and information on having a flood plan - But this page also has links to a multitude of other UK based sites with a variety of products! One of the sites has a list of flood gate packages for doors and cost between £325-£490 depending on the width to cover - these are for domestic use and there are others for businesses etc! The UK flood barriers site have back-flow valves (to prevent sewerage from coming up through WC, which can be devstating and lead to home-owners not being allowed into property for a considerable length of time) for £149 each. Many sites have the air-brick covers and I have seen them for as low as £14 on one of the sites. These are very useful and alongside the back-flow protection, would be the most cost-effective if you live a in a flood risk area. People will spend time making price comparisons for electronic gear, so why not for home-safety!
Comment by Marla Petal on January 6, 2010 at 21:03
These looked really interesting and really important, but I didn't understand them!!
Can someone make something really clear! If I wanted to include these methods on a Family disaster plan, what would they be called (individually and collectively). How many different methods does one house need? and what is the cost range to implement these measures on a median-priced single-family home.... ?



DRR Education RSS Feed

Take care toolkit

Take Care is a European-wide project aiming to enhance the resilience of children and young people to disasters, and enable disaster responders to meet children and young people’s needs more effectively. The programme is based on the belief that collaborating with children and communities will help build children’s resilience and...

I am safe. We are safe: A children's guidebook to our rights to survive, adapt to and recover from emergencies and disasters

This guidebook is intended for boys and girls aged 10 to 17 years old and will teach children their rights, specifically in situations of emergency and disaster, and will help children participate in reducing the dangers they face.The illustrations will help children learn what they can do, and what should be done for them by their parents, teachers,...

MyCoast New South Wales study: Teachers study guide

In 2019, the University of New South Wales commissioned a study titled 'MyCoast NSW study: New South Wales community perceptions of coastal erosion and inundation'. It was used to create a study guide designed to assist teachers to engage students in the complex task of defining coastal communities and understanding social aspects relating...

Structural hazards

This lesson introduces students to some of the basic concepts behind structural hazards in the context of earthquakes. Many cities have a variety of building sizes, shapes, architectural styles, and materials. This lesson covers the basic ideas concerning how structures respond to earthquakes using a tabletop exercise and three hands-on activities....

Landslide hazards

In this lesson, students learn about earthquake-induced landslides and the associated hazards, and how and why landslides occur. In addition, students discuss steps they can take to reduce landslide hazards. This lesson begins with a tabletop exercise to simulate a complex situation with multiple possible responsesbefore the students have obtained all...

Tweet Me!



Blog Posts

Silly Timmy Disaster Comic in Russian - Неразумный Тимофей!

Posted by Justin Sharpe on February 26, 2018 at 19:30 0 Comments

The original versions of these are almost four years old now, but after some being translated into major European languages that are spoken globally I wanted to be inclusive of other languages. This relies on meeting the right people and for this…


Infographic of research

Posted by Justin Sharpe on October 4, 2017 at 14:30 0 Comments

I wanted to show my PhD research findings in an easily digestible and accessible manner, so I created this infographic:…


Silly Timmy Disaster Comic - Bahasa Malaysian

Posted by Justin Sharpe on October 2, 2017 at 19:22 0 Comments

The original versions of these are almost four years old now, but after some being translated into major European languages that are spoken globally I wanted to be inclusive of other languages. This relies on meeting the right people and for this…


How to communicate better to stop disasters occurring

Posted by Justin Sharpe on May 15, 2017 at 14:30 0 Comments

I have read an interesting blog written by Robert Glasser from UNISDR, with the WCDRR coming up in Cancun. I agree with many of the points made, and would like to see more culturally appropriate community/family led and oriented DRR communication…


© 2019   Created by Justin Sharpe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service